The 101st Year Journey of
The Beulah Missionary Baptist Church
1916 Rev. Hausler
In the latter part of 1916, many people were migrating from the South to the North. Bro. and Sis. Cross, Sis. Mullan and others who were used to the "good old time services" got together with Rev. Hausler and organized a Baptist Mission on Mill Street. At that time, there were only 5 church buildings and 2 storefronts in the West End.
1918 Rev. Reed
In the early part of 1918, after Rev. Hausler's health began to fail, the church called Rev. David Reed to be pastor and he renamed the Mission the "Beulah Baptist Church." The church moved to 415 Central Avenue because they outgrew their quarters.
Rev. Isaac Jones was the pastor of St. John Baptist, a nearby church which was located at 4th and John Streets. Rev. Reed was consulted about St. John after Rev. Jones left. The churches merged at Rev. Reed's request. The name of Beulah was retained as the name of the merged churches and the edifice was now at 4th and John Streets. Membership grew to 1,000 members as more people came from the south. The church tried to buy the property but it couldn't because it belonged to the railroad.
1923 Rev. Toles
Upon Rev. Reed's resignation in February of 1923, Rev. S. W. Toles was called to pastor. During his one year as pastor, the church grew and was tranquil.
1924 Rev. Davis
Rev. A. Davis succeeded Rev. Toles as Undershepherd. The church was on its feet and Rev. Davis tried to help the church buy a building on Chestnut and John Streets. After four years of laboring, he resigned.
1928 Rev. Bamberg
In response to the call, Rev. Julius Bamberg became pastor. He served several years. He worked hard but The Depression left many people out of work and struggling to survive. The church was also struggling after the loss of a building and the large sum of money that went into the deal.
1934 Rev. Johnson
In 1934, Rev. J. S. Johnson answered the call to pastor Beulah Baptist Church which was penniless and had lost members. Rev. Johnson, like Apostle Paul, begged the members to abide in the ship. The church grew spiritually and financially and was able to pay the indebtedness they had. The church was bargaining to buy a building at Clark and John Streets when Rev. Johnson was called home. Rev. Johnson is credited as being a pillar in the building of Beulah and a Moses to the people during the eight years that he served.
1942 Rev. Glenn
In 1942, Rev. David S. Glenn was called as pastor, with the Lord's help. During his 26 years of faithful service, the property on Linn street was bought and a House was built for the Lord. Many choirs and organizations were added to Beulah. Rev. Glenn is remembered as Beulah's Great Joshua.
1969 Rev. Martin
After Rev. Glenn's passing in 1969, Rev. James E. Martin became pastor. During his 22 years of service, more members joined and renovations and additions were made to the church building. He left us to get his reward on April 26, 1990.
The church prayed sincerely, formed a bond of love, and got on one accord and asked the Lord to send a blessing. Throughout Beulah's history the Lord was always faithful to send a leader appropriate for the time.
1991 - Present Dr. Ivey
In September, 1991 Beulah was blessed when Dr. John B. Ivey was sent to be the Undershepherd.
Rev. Ivey arrived with a vision from the Lord which included innovative ministries designed to reach the masses both inside and outside of the church building.
Dr. Ivey educates and instructs the congregation about what God's Word says and how to apply it in our daily lives. His desire is to provide the spiritual nourishment to strengthen our minds and souls so that we will be capable of living in the world without being of it.
Upon the vision of Pastor Ivey, in June 1998 the church moved to our present location at 1834 Section Road and we are grateful and appreciative of how the Lord continues to bless our church.
The church celebrated 100 years of service in 2016.
All rights reserved 2012
Beulah Missionary Baptist Church
1834 Section Road
Cincinnati, OH 45237
Tues - Thurs 10:00-3:00
Phone: (513) 531-7283
Fax: (513) 531-7285
Sunday Service Times:
9:30 a.m. Sunday School
10:45 a.m. Praise & Worship
11:00 a.m. Service Begins
Join Us During The Week:
1:00 p.m. Tues. Bible Study
6:00 p.m. Wed. Prayer
7:00 p.m. Wed. Bible Study